- During 2008-09 SCI took delivery of 3 vessels viz. 2 newbuilt cellular container vessels (mv SCI Chennai and SCI Mumbai of 4400 TEU capacity each on 22nd and 28th October 2008) and 1 newbuilt very large crude carrier (VLCC - mt Desh Viraat of 1,62,416 GT and 3,20,412 DWT on 29th October 2008).
- During 2009-10 SCI took delivery of 4 vessels viz. 1 newbuilt VLCC (Desh Vishal of 1,62,412 GT and 3,21,137 DWT on 25th June 2009), 1 newbuilt Product Tanker (mt Swarna Kalash of 29,845 GT and 47,878 DWT on 10th October 2009), 1 newbuilt (Resale) Product Tanker (mt Swarna Mala of 29,993 GT and 51.196 DWT on 25th January 2010) and 1 newbuilt Product Tanker (mt Swarna Pushp of 29,845 GT and 47,775 DWT on 27th January 2010).
- During 2010-11 SCI took delivery of 2 vessels viz. 1 LR-I Product Tanker (Swarna Sindu of 42,845 GT and 73,368 DWT on 23rd July, 2010) and 1 LR -1 Product Tanker (Swarna Ganga of 42,845 GT and 73,368 DWT on 5th August, 2010).
SCI mans / manages a number of vessels on behalf of: India LNG Transport Companies (JVCs), Andaman & Nicobar Administration, Geological Survey of India (Ministry of Mines), Ministry of Earth Sciences (Department of Ocean Development), and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (PSU).
SCI’s managed fleet includes LNG Tankers, Passenger Vessels, Passenger–cum–Cargo Vessels, Bunker Barge, Research Vessels, Ocean Research Vessel, Fishing & Oceanographic Research Vessel, Offshore Supply Vessels, Seismic Survey Vessel, Well Stimulation Vessel, Diving Support Vessel, Geotechnical Vessel and Multipurpose Support Vessel.
Unlike conventional cargo carrying vessels, these managed vessels perform specialized functions and require expert skills for their operations.
- SCI’s authorised capital and paid-up capital have been increased over the years in stages. In November 2008, SCI issued bonus shares, prior to which its paid-up capital was Rs.282.30 Crores. At present, SCI’s authorised capital is Rs.450 Crores and paid-up capital is Rs.423.45 Crores.
- SCI’s shares are listed on the five stock exchanges viz. NSE, BSE, Chennai, Delhi and Kolkata and are traded regularly. The Government of India holds 80.12% share in SCI’s Equity Capital with the remaining 19.88% share disinvested.
- The SCI has a consistent track record of making profits and has been earning substantial returns on its investment. For the financial year 2008-2009, SCI recorded a “Total Income” of Rs. 4564.5 Crores and a “Net Profit after Tax” of Rs. 940.7 Crores. The Company paid a dividend of 65% on the increased paid-up share capital after issue of bonus shares.
- For the financial year 2009-2010, SCI recorded a “Total Income” of Rs. 3902.7 Crores and a “Net Profit after Tax” of Rs. 376.9 Crores. The Company proposed a dividend of 50% on the paid-up share capital.
Compliance with ISO 9001:2008 Quality Standards – Quality Management System (QMS)
SCI is now a certified ISO 9001-2008 company (for Quality Standards – Quality Management System) by the Indian Register of Quality Services. SCI first acquired the then prevailing ISO Quality Standard viz. ISO 9001-2000 in May 2007.